Saturday, April 07, 2012

Yesterday was Good Friday.  Today is simply Saturday.  Tomorrow is Easter.  Easter.  Where did that word come from?


"ORIGIN Old English ēastre; of Germanic origin and related to German Ostern and east . According to Bede the word is derived from Ēastre, the name of a goddess associated with spring."

Ugh!  Does anyone else think that's weird?  I do.  But it doesn't take away from the glory and magnificence of the event.  Crucifixion.  Burial.  RESURRECTION!

Yesterday I was "prompted" to look at the story of Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane the night of his betrayal and arrest in the book of Mark.  I don't usually go to Mark but I did.  I found something interesting there that I hadn't noticed before.   It's in the prayer Jesus prayed.  This is from the New Living Translation:  "Abba, Father," he cried out, "everything is possible for you.  Please take this cup of suffering away from me.  Yet I want your will to be done, not mine."

I love that.  Jesus knew that anything and everything is possible with God.  He knew His Father could change everything.  He even asked Him to consider it.  But He also knew that His Father knew what was best for us.  He trusted Him.  That must have been so hard for God to hear His Son crying out to Him.  And yet, He loved US so much He did not intervene.  I want to wrap my mind around that truth.  I want to "get it" at a deeper level in my heart.

Jesus literally felt what we feel.  How many times have we known God could intervene and DO SOMETHING but He didn't.  I want to always want His will over my own.  He will work His good in any circumstance.  He is good and His ways are not our ways.  There's certainly no doubt about that.  I am so glad He is God and I am not.

Today could feel dark.  It could feel like evil prevailed.  But God...!  And we are privileged to know the outcome of the greatest event the earth has ever witnessed.  Amazing.


I took the following photos in the Garden of Gethsemane when we were there last summer.  They said this olive tree was there when Jesus was there to pray.  Incredible.  I wish that tree could talk.








No comments: