Tuesday, February 21, 2006

The Notebook

I just wrote my son a note for his notebook they're putting together for the class we've been a part of at church for the 8th graders and their parents called "Faith Decisions". This notebook will include all sorts of things we've filled out together and talked about, things like spiritual disciplines and spiritual heritage and core beliefs. We were in Beaver Creek when they discussed Wrong Turns. What wrong turns have you made in your life? So I brought it home to fill out here. It's been sitting here ever since. Today's the deadline so if I want it in his notebook I had to sit down and fill it in. I do want it in his notebook. I want him to know me. I pray he will not make the mistakes I've made. I know that's not terribly realistic. I certainly never listened to anyone who tried to help me make good choices. I know we have to learn from our own mistakes. That's just it. I want him to make his own - not the ones his dad and I have made.

So this morning I sat down and wrote to him about the abortion I had when I was 19 - the biggest but not the only mistake I've ever made, obviously. This won't be the first time Max has heard about my abortion. When I decided I needed to start talking about it, after healing had begun in earnest, I knew Max needed to know first. He was generous in his grace and ability to forgive me. Unfortunately, one thing I have learned is that he also has since justified abortion in several settings where it's been discussed just because his "mom had one". I've tried to tell him that it was a mistake, a terribly bad choice, and certainly not one to be glossed over or justified. I'm not sure how to get that through to him so I hope he reads this note once he has received his notebook this weekend at the banquet. I want him to know there are terrible mistakes and we make them, but that none of them is unforgiveable. I want him to know that God forgives and forgets. I want him to know that eventually we can forgive ourselves. I want him to know I regret that choice and many others and I would change them if I could. But I also want him to know I am who I am today because I have been forgiven and once again made whole. It is by the blood of Jesus that I can hold my head up at all today. But I CAN.

I know some people are probably thinking "what in the world are you posting this here for?" Let me tell you why - I grew up in a home with dark secrets. We were taught if you didn't talk about them they never happened. It was a lie. If you don't talk about them they eat a hole in your heart. So now I want to talk and I want to encourage you to also. Our kids are amazingly forgiving people who can take a lot more than we think they can. They desperately want to know truth and they want to know that even if they make mistakes they are loved and forgiven. This is the best example I can give my son of the unconditional love of the Father. I want him to know it, too, deep in his heart so he can live free.

9 comments:

Lauren said...

Candy,
This is a beautiful post! Despite the darkness you knew for so long, you have become a woman who radiates and embraces the light of life. Your relationship with the Father is one that serves as an incredible example to me in so many ways. Thank you for your life and thank you for so gracefully sharing your secret places. I love you very much! The Holy Spirit has captivated you and made you beautiful!

Clint said...

Max is a lucky kid. We all make mistakes and so do kids. So it is good that a kid can grow up knowing they will get through and be ok because mom did. Even though at times it may not have looked that way.

Scott said...

I can't tell you what a gift you given your son.

My own parents have been very honest with me (as appropriate) as I've grown about their lives, struggles, victories and defeats. That kind of investment in your kids can NEVER be overestimated.

Blessed kids indeed.

Silent Rain Drops said...

God bless you for speaking out, Candy.

Candy said...

Lauren - Thank you for your kind words. I love you girl.

Clint and Scott - I needed to hear that.

SRD - I know you know.

Beverly said...

I keep trying to post a comment, but keep crying...okay..how bout I love you ...that has to do for now...I am proud of you ....that has to do for now...I want to be like you...that has to do for now...Max is blessed!

Sarah said...

This was absolutely beautiful. I hope you don't mind but I want to share this on my pro-life website. I get a lot of abortion seeking women and I know if they read this it may cause them to have second thoughts.

Sarah said...

Oh, by the way, I know Max is a little older now as this is an old post. But maybe he would be interested in talking to my friend. She runs a ministry for the siblings of aborted babies and has a private facebook group for them. You can see her blog here. https://survivingsibling.wordpress.com/

Candy said...

Thank you Sarah. If this can help anyone at all, share it. After all what good are our stories if they can't be told in the hope of inducing healing in others.